Become A Referee
Welcome to the first step in becoming a soccer referee!
Effective July 1, 2019, US Soccer has introduced the name Grassroots Referee to replace the former "grades" of 7, 8, and 9. The US Soccer Digital Learning Center has also became the hub for all registration activities.
You must be 13 or older to set up an account in the Learning Center.
Step 1: Create a Profile at US Soccer Referee Learning Center
Step 2: Complete the US Soccer NCSI Background Check (if 18 or older) ($30)
· Valid for two years.
· Takes 7-10 days to clear. Your background check must be cleared before you can sign up for ANY class. We do not accept any other background checks.
Step 3: Register for an In-Person Course in the Learning Center ($130)
· The field session will be held rain or shine. Registration will begin 30 minutes prior to the start of your session. You must be checked in at registration before the scheduled start of your session. Late arrivals will not be permitted to participate but must reschedule.
· Class should run for about 2 hours.
· This is an active session; please dress appropriately. Sandals are not permitted; sneakers or turf shoes are recommended. Please bring water as none will be provided. We will be providing you with your first referee whistle and a set of yellow/red cards, which you will use at the field session.
· Registration for a field clinic includes US Soccer licensing and liability insurance. This fee also includes a US Soccer Referee uniform and Starter Kit from Official Sports. Information on ordering will be posted in your Communication tab after you attend your field clinic.
Step 4: Complete All 4 Assignments posted in your Assignments Tab
· 100% of the Online Grassroots Referee Course MUST be completed before attending the In-Person Course. Estimated time to complete is 4.5-6 hours. If you do not, you will not be permitted to attend and full refunds will not be given. We strongly suggest that you bring a copy of your online training Certification of Completion to the field session.
· Introduction to Safe and Healthy Playing Enviroments
· Grass Roots Quiz
· Safe Sport Certification (if 18 or older)
· Access Code: (available in the Learning Center, in the description of the In-Person Course)
· When asked, select U.S. Soccer as the Member Organization on the drop down menu.
· If you have already completed Safe Sport training, log in to your account, click on the Menu in the top left corner, Update Account, change tab to Profile, scroll down and ensure US Soccer is listed under Memberships. If not, just add it.
· Safe Sport Certification should be completed before attending the In-Person course. Your registration will not be processed until completion is confirmed.
· Estimated time to complete is 2-2.5 hours.
Step 4: Download the IFAB Laws of the Game (LOTG)
· The LOTG are also available as an app on both Android and iOS.
· It is not required to print the LOTG document.